Sunday 15 February 2015

Easy Contouring and Highlighting + Video

Hey Blog Readers! 

So I've done my 2nd YouTube video of 2015! and this time I decided to do 'How I contour and Highlight"! Lets point out I don't do these steps every day for a regular day time look but if I've a night out, a shoot or something special on I'll take the extra time to contour/highlight when doing my makeup!

I thought I'd add some extra info to this blog that may not have been covered in the video!

Incase you don't already know 'contouring & highlighting' helps to add or accentuate dimension on your face! if done right it is absolutely beautiful!
Contouring is to add shadow to an area and to make that are recede inwards. Highlighting will bring an area forward! Makeup artists have always known about this technique but it has really become a trend with the rest of us since Kim Kardashian posted the below photo of her makeup application and everyone wanted to know what she was doing! what is her secret??-its contouring/highlighting and it's out of the bag now! lol
 


The results are flawless!
The products I use to contour/highlight: 
  1. Max Factor Pan Stick Foundation #14 
  2. Makeup forever sculpting kit (the bronzer)
  3. Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer in 'Light' 
  4. Ben nye banana powder mixed with Ben nye super white powder. 
  5. Young Blood 'Twilight' highlighter 
Brushes: 
  1. Real Techniques contour brush 
  2. Real Techniques buffing brush 
  3. Real Techniques detail brush 
  4. Any clean eye shadow brush with tightly packed bristles 
  5. Real Techniques crease brush. 
shahira barry

Things to NOTE: 
  • I had my foundation on before doing my contour/highlight - which is my last step in my makeup application!
  • You can choose to do only one of the steps I show.. meaning: either the cream contour/highlight or the powder contour/highlight! however doing both will ensure it doesn't budge and will give a more extreme precise result for a special occasion. 
  • If wearing during the day it is probably best to only do the cream/liquid technique as it will look more natural! 
  • You don't have to use the products that I use - you can make do with what you have or opt for an alternative! the idea is simply to use any cream or liquid foundation that is a couple of shades darker than your skin tone to contour and a couple of shades lighter to highlight! 
  • Don't make the mistake of using a bronzer that has a shimmer in it as this defeats the purpose! Think about it... the dark shade is saying to contour (recede) and the shimmer is saying to highlight (bring forward) so your makeup and face will look confused ;) lol. Make sure any bronzer you use is MATT! 
  • The nose is individual! if you already have a thin/small nose then don't contour it - it will end up looking really small and strange and you have no need for it! If you have a nose that could do with a little extra contouring don't just copy any video you see (like mine) take the idea from it but then experiment on your own as everyone's nose is different and therefore will need to be inspected and then contoured differently in order to receive the desired results! 
  • If your nose has a bump adding the contour colour to the bump and blending well will help to conceal it! and if your nose is long doing the 'Marilyn Monroe' trick that I refer to in the video will make your nose appear shorter! again use your own common sense: if you don't want your nose to look shorter then skip this step! 
  • Adding highlight to the tip of your nose will make your nose appear more turned'upwards - if your nose is already turned up at the end then skip this step! 
  • I was wearing eye makeup in this video so I didn't demonstrate that you can also contour along the crease of your eye socket to give more dept to your eyes and make them appear larger! 
  • Remember highlighting brings that area forward and contouring makes the area go inward SO always examine you're own face to discover the best way for you to highlight/contour as everyone's face is different! for example if you have deep eye sockets which cause under eye circles but you also have puffy cheeks don't bring the highlighter as far down (in the sideways V shape) onto the cheek: instead do a smaller v shape higher up ie. only on the undereye circle which will then bring that area forward to appear flush with your cheek (I hope that explanation is understandable :) 
With all of that being said here is the video!! 



I hope you liked it! let me know if you have any questions or any requests for new videos - I would love to hear them!
Please remember to thumbs up the video and subscribe to my channel!x

And FOLLOWWW MEEE on Instagram/Twitter @ShahiraBarry and give a like on facebook!

Lots of Love! 
Shahira Xo 
If your company would like a review or specific blog-post on a product, treatment, service or any other item to appear on www.shahirabarry.com email info@shahirabarry.com with the details.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig