Saturday 3 May 2014

My Laser Eye Surgery Experience (LASIK)

Please Note: Unfortunately this post was one of the blogs (pre.28th of July 2014) that suffered a 'Blogger' crash.. which saw all images vanishing! I have tried to replace the images from the crash as best as I can. However images of me with products etc.. may be lost as a result and therefore the images you see may not match the text(which is original and was not effected by the crash). My blog has therefore had to start fresh and all blogs starting from July 29th 2014 are correct with the appropriate, original and correct images but unfortunately the same can not be said for images lost in posts before this date. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Shahira xo

HEY Blog Readers!


How is everyone?? :) 

I'm writing this with a newly found high for life because I CAN SEE! (without a need for contacts or glasses)


What led me to consider LASIK


So let me give you a bit of background on my eyes... I was not a kid who wore glasses... I had my eyes tested on various occasions throughout school etc.. and I was never told that I had poor eyesight. However when I reached leaving cert (16-17years old) my eyes dramatically changed very quickly!
It started by slowly not being able to see what the teacher had written on the board and from there it got worse and worse! My eyes became very bad in what seemed to be a very short period of time. I didn't feel myself without lenses.. I felt almost drunk and delirious (which is the only way I can explain it!).
Without lenses I could barely function-I felt cranky/irritated and everyone's face looked like 'crime call' when they blur the faces out!

I coped ok at first but as time went on I had more and more problems with wearing contact lenses and it started to interrupt my modelling career. I cannot tell you the amount of times I had contacts snap in my eye! another regular occurrence was when a MUA (makeup artist) would accidentally dislodge one of my contacts during makeup application, as a model you definitely don't want this to happen!! For example when I was in Los Angeles I was trying to do an outdoor photoshoot when my contacts were killing me and causing my eyes to stream water which effected my makeup for the shoot and as a result the shoot itself.. I could barely keep my eyes open!

Another regular problem I encountered with lenses was makeup sticking to the lens (particular two weeklys) leaving me with what I can only describe as a 'glazed-over' feeling like a Zombie, lol! When I went to see The Wanted preform on Jimmy Kimmel Live I was right beside the stage but I couldn't see a thing.. I decided I better take out my lenses because I couldn't see with this glazed over smudgy feeling.. no lenses in of course I still couldn't see but at least I didn't have the discomfort! ... What resulted was me standing beside the stage watching the concert by holding my iphone camera towards the stage and watching the whole show through my phone... NOT what you want to resort to while watching a gig!!

Anyhow you can probably understand why I may think the idea of Laser eye surgery correcting my vision and taking a way the hassle of contacts or glasses is the best thing since sliced bread!! :) and so far I am very much still of that opinion :) :) I could not be happier!

Who did I turn to...

After being happy with a consultation and the decision that LASIK surgery would be the best option for me. I went ahead and booked an appointment with Dr. John Fenton at Laser Vision (Adelaide rd, Dublin 2).


Laser vision is a small clinic - it's not as well known as some of the other clinics around may be however I wasn't looking for 'well known' as such.. I was looking for someone I could trust with my eyes, who would give me the individual attention that I needed! a friendly, professional, environment with results I would be happy with! and also, in my opinion, a smaller clinic means reputation is everything to them so I could rest in the knowledge that they would do everything in their power for the procedure to run smoothly and for my eyes to be mended the way I expect.. after all trust is an essential element when dealing with something as precious as your eye sight!
Dr.Fenton is a FRCSI, Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, he is extremely professional and talks you through the process from consultation, to the procedure itself and aftercare! He is also available on a helpline should you have any query's during your aftercare.

Here is Dr.Fenton talking about Lasik eye surgery on Ireland AM..


Consultation: 

The consultation is very straightforward. Some simple tests are carried out on your eyes to establish suitability and then Dr.Fenton chat's through your options and advice with regards to correcting your vision. Upon my consultation it was established that LASIK surgery would be the best option for my eyes. The consultation put me at ease and I was excited to begin the process! I booked in for my surgery and the clinic gave me some information and a contract to take home and read carefully.


As with any surgery there are risks involved but for me I felt the most-likely outcome of 20/20 vision out weighed the risks and it was something I just had to go for! While I did read the information given to me, and I do believe it's important to be well informed, I didn't want to start searching on Google about lasik as I knew there would be a number of horror stories that would freak me out... I trusted both Dr.Fenton and Laser Vision and felt that they would do an excellent job!
It helped that during my consultation there was a patient in for his 24hour post opp- check-up and he told me how amazing his eye-sight was only 24hours later - This put me even more at ease!

The day of my Lasik Surgery: 


On the day of my lasik Surgery I was a nervous wreck! I traveled down to Dublin on the train with my mother (for moral support), We checked into the hotel we were staying at and then headed over to the clinic for my appointment which was at 2.00pm. Once I arrived at the clinic my nerves settled as I felt that I was in safe hands. My eyes were measured and tested once more and then Dr.Fenton talked me through the process itself - his professionalism and confidence calmed my nerves a lot! After all he is a professional and he does know what he's doing so I just had to relax and trust! I was given a Valium for added relaxation, my hair was put back into a hair-net and any eye-makeup was removed. Numbing drops were also placed in my eyes. I then went into the surgery room and lay on a chair/bed. Everything was white,clean and bright! A gown was put over me and the nurse stayed by my side making me feel extra safe.
I was terrified when Dr.Fenton began the process but I thought "there's no turning back now"! I just lay as still as I possibly could in the fear that if I didn't I may mess it up and cause it to go wrong and I certainly didn't want that! However, I should add that, I was assured I couldn't mess it up as the laser is extremely high tech and switches off if there's any movement immediately. Never-the-less I was not going to move even a millimeter! I stayed still and quiet!

The process 

Dr Fenton spoke to me during the whole process and told me what to expect, what was coming next, how many seconds were left etc.. One eye was done at a time. First the eye lids were secured with a clasp so that they would stay open, (a bandage was put on my other eye) a small incision/flap was made and then the laser began. The whole process took about 1 minute per eye! the quickness of the surgery took away the fear (there wasn't enough time to freak out, lol) and I didn't feel a thing! Genuinely there was no pain at all! 
It was the scariest thing I've ever done because I had no control and for a couple of seconds everything goes black in the eye being operated on but that is the worst part. It is also difficult to keep the other eye (behind the bandage) open, which you're advised to do. However for the sake of a two minute operation with no pain it is so worth it!! After the surgery I was taken back up to the reading chart and I could immediately read better than before the surgery - I couldn't believe it!

Initially there was no pain at all but about half an hour after the surgery my eyes started to get sore and were very sensitive to light!
Goggles were put on my eyes to protect them straight after the surgery and I went back to the hotel to sleep (you are advised to sleep for the first 6 hours). I needed some help to leave the clinic and get in a taxi so it was great to have my mum there and I would definitely say you need someone with you or at least to collect you if you're considering going for lasik surgery.
I got into bed and covered over the goggles with a black towel to block out the light. My mother later brought me up a dark eye mask which was a god send!
This time of keeping my eyes closed and trying to sleep was the only discomfort/worrying part of the whole process! My eyes kept streaming tears but I wasn't able to open them.. at the same time they felt itchy and sore but I couldn't touch them which was distressing.
I woke-up earlier than I was supposed to (7pm) but now the pain had totally gone! :) I kept my eyes closed until 10, as suggested, and simply listened to the soaps on telly without watching them. At ten I took the goggles off and opened my eyes and I could see! Horray! I had nothing to fear!
My eyes were still adjusting and super sensitive to light so I watched some Breaking Bad and went back to sleep for the night!
I slept once again with the goggles on (so as not to accidentally scratch my eye). The next day when I woke up I could see clearer than ever - it was AMAZING!


Recovery!


Day 1
I returned to the clinic for my 1 day check-up and was told everything looked great, I could read the chart a lot better but my eyes would continue to improve within the next couple of days. It was a beautiful day in Dublin, the sun was shining and I was so happy with my vision - I felt blessed and like a new person! I was so happy I wanted to dance down the road!! :)

I was given three sets of drops and advised to take them x3 a day!

Luckily for me I was able to take a few days rest this week to take it easy and allow my eyes to recover. I wasn't in any pain at all but I just wanted to take it easy, not wear any eye makeup etc...

Day 2-4

Everything is going fantastically! My vision is perfect and I would recommend Lasik (with Dr.Fenton in LaserVision) to anyone considering getting it done! It's day two and it already feels life changing to me I AM ON A HIGH! :)

Day 5
I am posting this blog... I will keep you posted on how my weekly check-up goes next week!
Also stay tuned for a video of the whole process (YES A VIDEO of the surgery!eeek!) and a video blog upon my 1 month post opp! I am beyond thirlled with the results so far and I hope everything continues to run smoothly :)

I have a good feeling 23 (I just turned on Saturday) is going to me my year!!x!! :)

If YOU are considering Laser eye surgery I can't recommend Laser Vision highly enough!! They have the best deals price wise and the results are fantastically life changing! 

At the moment they have an unbeatable deal on groupon! 
Laser Eye Surgery for Both Eyes with Advanced Wavefront Technology Plus Lifetime Aftercare for €1899 with LaserVision Eye Clinic (52% off)!! 
Considering in another clinic you could be looking at €2,000/per eye this deal is unbeatable and not to be missed for anyone considering the treatment!! 

The clinic offers comprehensive eye care including laser eye surgery. Other eye care includes screening and treatments for glaucomadiabetic retinopathy and cataracts. 

EEEEK :) This is how I feel since my treatment... 




Stay tuned for the video of my surgery (early next week), news on how my 1 week post opp check-up went and my video blog

Wishing you a fantastic colorful weekend! 


Lots of Love, 
Shahira Xo  


Share:

2 comments

  1. I get what you’re saying about everyone’s faces looking like a crime wall without contacts. It's good to hear that it's no longer the case, since you had Lasik surgery. Thanks for sharing your experience, Shahira. I hope success stories like yours would be enough for people who are suffering from poor eyesight to give this treatment a shot.

    Penny Byrd @ NCEENT

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig